In the ninth chapter of his book, “The Skillful Teacher: On Technique, Trust, and Responsiveness in the Classroom”, Brookfield discusses how racism exists in education, on systemic and individual levels, and suggests how racism can be the topic of teaching.

In my field the expectation is that every person, no matter how ‘different’ they are from you, is to be treated with respect and given the best care you can provide. In my role as an educator, we include discussion about diversity and cultural sensitivity in the core content. We do activities to increase awareness a variety of perspectives (cultural assumptions, sexuality and gender expression, age/generational differences, …). . The premise of this approach is that having some awareness of how and why others may perceive and respond to things differently will help you avoid assumptions and ask appropriate questions to adapt care giving for individuals.

We look at stereotypes (broad assumptions based on minimal information) and how they can lead to prejudice (value laden judgements) which can affect how we treat someone (discrimination). The goal is to not treat anyone with discrimination that is based on prejudice related to stereotypes, but this also depends on the person’s desire to be nondiscriminatory.

What is highlighted to me in Brookfield’s writing is that he recognizes we all have thoughts and assumptions ingrained in us through the multitude of influences and experiences in our lives (p 113), and we may not be consciously aware of how our actions reflect micro-aggressions (p. 119).

This means that wanting to treat others well (ie without racism, or a number of other ‘ism’s), and being armed with some generalities and strategies for learning about and understanding the individual you are providing care for, is not enough. A deeper and ongoing consideration of assumptions that have been “internalized as a deep level” (p. 113) must be considered, recognized, and challenged.

This is hard work. Brookfield says the work starts with accepting that ‘it would be remarkable if racism was not alive and well within” and leaving behind ‘the dead ends of endlessly agonizing over White guilt and constantly attempting to prove your goodness.” (p. 113)

So, how do I support this kind of growth in my students? Brookfield is clear that the work must begin with myself as a teacher, to unpack and challenge my own assumptions. Then his suggestion is that sharing my own process with my students, through “narrative disclosure” (p. 113) is a way to” help students understand how racism works.” (p. 123) This is not easy, and not without potential risks. But no one said teaching is for the faint hearted.

Brookfield, S. (2015) The skillful teacher: On Technique, Trust, and Responsiveness in the Classroom (3rd ed.) Jossey-Bass