Four factors are primarily impacting my vision and goals for the next 5 years.

1. Our college recently established a Center for Teaching and Learning Innovation (CTLI). I have had the opportunity to attend many of the sessions on a variety of topics hosted by the CTLI. I have also joined committees and working groups considering how the college can move forward on several initiatives.
  2. I have taken on the role of Department Chair in the last year, which has given me opportunities to learn more about how our college functions, and to consult and collaborate with others beyond our college to promote high quality education for our students.  So, I now see the work that we do daily with our students in class within a broader context and see alternatives to our standard delivery methods.
  3. The number of students taking our program has increased dramatically over the last 3 years.  This means we are called on to be creative with delivery and scheduling, and that we have hired several new faculty.
  4. Along with many others around the world, our college and department made a quick switch from in face classroom teaching to online delivery in 2020.  I am proud of my colleagues for taking on this challenge so intentionally.  We learned that many of our assumptions and fears about online delivery were not true and have realized that online delivery has a significant impact on accessibility, a challenge we had been trying to address in other ways prior to the health restrictions. 

So, my vision is to that our college will offer our program in ways that increase accessibility and success for students from across our region, and that faculty will be well supported to maintain high quality instruction.  Within that context here are my professional goals:

1. Continue to participate in the committees and working groups I am on for the 2021-2022 year, and share things learned with the department team.
  2. Continue weekly 45 minute check-in meetings with our department to promote sharing of ideas and decision making as a team, and to promote relationship development between department faculty and staff.
  3. Hold 2 full day department meetings through the 2021-2022 year.  The agenda will include input from CTLI and time for discussion and planning for changes in the program.
  4. Gather feedback from recently hired faculty to help refine the orientation material and process so new instructors have the support they need to be successful.
  5. Attend provincial articulation meetings in fall 2021 and spring 2022, and continue consultation with colleagues across the province regarding best practices in online delivery and using a preceptorship model in practicums.